15th SABA Islamic Family CampFri, Aug 24 to Sun, Aug 26
Bismillah ar-rahman, ar-rahim,
As salaamu alaykum dear brothers and sisters,
SABA invites you to register for this year’s SABA Summer Camp, 2012, taking place at Camp Mendocino in Mendocino, CA, from Friday, August 24 to Sunday, August 26. Once again, with the help of Allah, SWT, and with your help, we look forward to an enjoyable, successful and memorable camping experience for our community. Enjoy fun activities, spiritual activities, time with family and friends, and fresh halal food.
Update Fri 8/24 2AM: Registration is closed. Walk-in registration only at campOnline registration is closed. Limited walk-in registration at camp. Walk-in registration fees apply ($100/person, cash or check only). Don't forget to bring your own tent. Space is limited and is on a first come first served basis. For High ropes please register at camp site. Only a few spots left. Register as soon as you arrive to get your spot.
Registration DeadlineRegistration deadline is Aug 23 2:00pm. After that registration is closed. Register now to avoid disappointment.
WhereCamp Mendocino is located 160 miles north of San Francisco, nestled in a redwood forest in Mendocino County, midway between Willits and Fort Bragg. The journey will take about 3 1/2 hours (without traffic) from SABA Center in San Jose. For more information about Camp Mendocino visit their website at www.campmendocino.org.
WhenFriday, August 24: check in after 3 pm, dinner & celebrations
Saturday, August 25: fun activities, discussions, campfire & celebrations
Sunday, August 26: morning activities, check out before 10 am
Fun ActivitiesAvailable activities include:
- biking (We have reserved some mountain bikes for ages 8 and up. $5/half hour cash. You can also bring your mountain bike)
- swimming (separate men and women areas, with lifeguard)
- zip line/ropes course Advanced sign up required, limited quantity: secure your spot now.
- hiking (Saturday morning)
- and more!
Spiritual ActivitiesSpiritual activities include:
- congregational prayers
- short speeches
Camp DutiesThis year every camper from ages 12 to 49 is required to sign up for a minimum of three camp duties. This allows everyone the opportunity to contribute to the camp's success and to foster community bonds while gaining Sawaab and Barakat. Many different duties are available, so you are sure to find something that you’ll enjoy doing. Each duty will require between 1/2 hour to 1 hour of your time, depending on the duty.
These duties include helping with:
- sports and fun activities
- spiritual activities
- loading and unloading the truck
- cooking in the kitchen
- serving food
- cleaning up
- camp fire activities
What to bringPlease remember to pack the following items:
- causal and warm clothing (layers)
- jacket/sweater for campfire
- tennis shoes, hiking shoes
- shower slippers
- swimming suits/towels
- sleeping bag/blanket and pillow,
- flashlights with fresh batteries/lantern
- bug/mosquito repellent lotion or spray,
- personal hygiene supplies (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.),
- rain gear (just in case),
- optional: folding chairs and picnic mats,
- optional: camera, sports gear, badminton rackets and shuttlecock, inner tubes for pool area,
- phone calling cards,
- water can (aftabey) for your bathroom.
- sleeping pads or air matress
- rubber or plastic mallet
Turn left onto Highway 20 West (Third traffic light in Willits).
Proceed on highway 20 to mile marker 17.23; you will see a Camp Mendocino sign on the right.
Turn right on to dirt road.
Follow dirt road for 8 miles (Road 200) as follows:
Turn left after ~500 yards (look for Mendocino Camp sign),
go straight and cross three wooden bridges (~2 miles),
turn left after the third bridge (there is a Camp Mendocino sign).
After approximately four miles you will reach a four way intersection.
Go straight through the intersection.
After you pass through the camp gate, you will travel about 2 miles before you reach the center of camp.
Cross the bridge & proceed to the camp registration to inform camp organizers of your arrival.
Please Note: Highway 20 and the dirt road into camp has many twists and turns so please drive carefully, especially if you are driving at night. Look for “SABA Camp” signs.
To locate the camp in Google Maps visit maps.google.com and enter: 39° 25' 32.60" N , 123° 34' 28.80" W
- Cabins and Teepees: The cabins are arranged in "tribes". One of the tribes uses teepees instead of cabins. There are seven tribes and each tribe has four main cabins. Also, each tribe has three bathrooms and showers. Each cabin can sleep up to 12 people (6 bunk beds).
There will be a separate tribe for ladies and one for men. The remaining five tribes are for families. You have the option to select a full cabin for your family or men and women stay sepearate.
- Own Tent: Bring and setup your own tent and enjoy the natural environment of camp while ensuring your entire family stays together! Please note: no cabin space will be assigned to families who sign up to bring their own tent.
- Lodges: Each unit can sleep between 3 to 4 campers. Each unit also has a bathroom and shower. There are a total of 8 units.
PriceThe price of camp depends on the accommodation level you choose.
See the table below. The lodges are on a first come, first serve basis at the time of registration.
For cabins we will send the sign up sheet email 3 days before the camp. Please note we will try to accommodate as many families as possible together, however we most likely have to separate smaller families into male and female cabins.
So if you want guaranteed stay with your family please choose lodge or own tent.
The camp is organized by volunteers for the enjoyment of SABA members and their families. Our primary goal is to make this trip fun and affordable, and we do our best to keep the price as low as possible. SABA does not intend to make any monitory profit nor incur any loss for holding the camp. To make it affordable for all families, camp fees are subsidized. Please donate generously to help SABA with camp expenses. It will help SABA to continue holding such camps in future at affordable prices for all members.
Online Rates - Good thru Thu 8/23 2pm
To register online while space still available continue to the bottom of the page.
Walk-in rates: own tent $100/person, cabin $110/person. Only if space available
Cleaning and Security DepositWe require $40 per family as a security and cleaning deposit. Once a staff member verifies that your area is cleaned, returned to its original condition, and that you are not responsible for any damage that may occur, you will be reimbursed the deposit. You will receive the refund within one month, after SABA receives the final receipt from Camp Mendocino.
Why are we charging a security and cleaning deposit?
In the past we had several incidents where cabins were left in an unacceptable conditions or where trash was scattered everywhere. Please realize that leaving the cabins or camp in a messy condition makes us pay fines for cleaning and causes SABA to forfeit the security deposit. For this camp we have to pay $1000 penalty if we leave the camp late or leave the camp messy or damaged. As insurance we are charging a security and cleaning deposit. Please remember this simple rule: keep the camp clean from day one and be on time on your check out day!
1. Everyone is expected to make a sincere effort to make this camping event pleasant for everyone. No one may disturb the peace or behave in a way to endanger the safety of anyone in the camp. No fighting, swearing or inappropriate behavior will be tolerated and anyone violating this will be asked to leave and forfeit their deposit.
2. Everyone is expected to strictly observe Islamic etiquette and rules. Both men and women are required to observe Islamic hijab and dress code at all times.
3. No smoking throughout the camp.
4. No firecrackers, paint ball guns, BB guns, or firearms are allowed at the camp.
5. Vehicles are not permitted on any road other than the main road. Park vehicles in designated areas only. The speed limit in camp is 5 MPH. Passengers may not be transported in vehicles not intended for passengers (eg., pick-up truck bed). All passengers must wear seat belts. No dirt bikes, ATVs or other off-road recreational vehicles.
6. Office phones are not available for use by group. There is a pay phone available outside of the office. A calling card is required for usage. In an emergency, dial 911.
7. The ropes course and climbing wall are OFF-LIMITS, except for participants who have signed up for this activity, during the scheduled time.
8. Climbing trees, cabins, buildings, and roofs is prohibited.
9. Railroad trestles are off-limits.
10. Please contact the organizing committee if you have any complaints or suggestions. Please inform the organizers first and do not take any actions yourself.
11. Upon arrival you need to register with the camp organizers. You may not leave the camp or go out for private trips without first informing the camp organizers.
12. Do not create any fires in the camp or in the surrounding forest. There will be a campfire organized every evening for everyone. Please make sure that you and your children do not play with matches or fire in the camp.
13. Everyone must comply with the quiet time requirements as instructed by camp organizers.
14. Everyone is required to attend prayers and main gathering events.
15. Anyone below 18 MUST be accompanied by at least one adult.
16. Participants must follow all the rules and regulations of Camp Mendocino.
17. All parents are responsible for any damage (breakage or graffiti) caused by their children inside or around the camp property.
18. Absolutely no moving of furniture.
19. Everyone must keep their area clean and not litter anywhere in the campsite, otherwise they will not receive their deposit. Remember that we are representing Islam.
20. Any arguments should be resolved by the camp manager or Dr. Abidi.
Own Tent (Bring and setup your own tent, our most popular option!) Walk-in registration only. Bring cash or check. Don't forget to bring your own tent. Walk-in registration rates apply.
Cabin (Separate Men and Women, we do the cabin assignment) Closed.
Full Cabin (Choose your own cabin. Shared outdoor bathroom. Base rate good for up to 5 people) Sold out!
Lodge (choose your lodge, private bath and shower, base rate + per person rate) Sold out!